Alton Main Street's mission is to engage our community
Since 1996, Alton Main Street (formerly known as Alton Marketplace) has been a part of the Illinois Main Street program, which is a community-based approach used successfully all over the nation to maximize downtown revitalization efforts.
ORGANIZATION – implements our strategic plan and builds community awareness of the Main Street brand, its resources and accomplishments. They strengthen alliances, create partnerships, develop resources, and build consensus.
ECONOMIC GARDENING –enhances the business environment with open lines of communication with civic leaders and organizations, training events to sharpen the competitive acumen of downtown merchants, pooling public and private resources to make the district attractive to business owners and investors alike.
- "What's Up Downtown" Quarterly Information Exchanges
- Support Business Recruitment & Retention
- Develop Networking Opportunities
- Develop Marketing and Business Development initiatives
- Facilitate Business Education and Training
- Plan and execute Market Research
- Develop and Support Economic Development strategies
- Develop New Business Incentive Packages
- Track Available Inventory of Real Estate & Space for Lease
- Develop Place Making Opportunities
DESIGN – creates an attractive destination for visitors and locals alike. We create an inviting atmosphere with cohesive streetscape and place-making strategies, which encourage a clear historic preservation ethic. Good Downtown design principles improve the quality of life for all stakeholders.
- Alton Farmers’ & Artisans’ Market administration
- Spring & Fall Litter Clean-Ups
- Streetscape Planting Projects
- Wayfinding Signage & Bridge West Enhancement Project
- Pocket Park next door to Jacoby Arts Center
PROMOTIONS – makes life interesting and exciting by forging a positive and distinctive identity for the district . Through a variety of special events, retail promotions, and affirmative messaging campaigns they attract locals and tourists to the charm of downtown Alton’s historic shopping and entertainment district.
- Small Town Big World Cultural Celebration
- Mississippi Earthtones Festival
- Taste of Downtown Alton at Argosy Casino
- Tree Lighting at Lincoln-Douglas Square
- Green Gift Bazaar
- Retail promotions such as Small Business Saturday
TEAM BUILDING – develops stakeholders into community leaders. Leveraging AMS’s vast community network of resources, we nurture these assets into the next generation of committed champions positioned to shape strategy and drive growth in downtown and all of Alton.
- Build Volunteer Support Teams for all events
- Engage the Community in Collaboration with AMS
- Engage Partners with Ideas for Participation
- Coordinate Partnership Drive Activities
- Plan and Execute Annual Meeting